Friday, February 11, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


Forgotten Literature

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 10:22 PM PST

While studying Literature and Critical Reading in College, I realized that there are so many great short stories out there that people are forgetting about, not just short stories either. There are so many great books that haven't been read by people. Yes, we all love getting new books, and new debuts, however, as true book lovers we should all try to be open to reading great, already published novels as well. Classics, adult fiction, and older young adult novels!

Every once in a while I take a trip out early Saturday morning with my grandmother, we go around to Garage Sales, and thrift stores. There are always great items in these places. I have found so many amazing books for literally cents! I recently purchased Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. It was published in 2001 and I have no idea why I didn't pick it up sooner. This book is so downright adorable. I'm only one hundred pages into it, about half way (it's on the shorter side), but it is a great story. There was even a movie made after it. Being open to reading older novels can really help you get some great books into your hands. The best place to find these, for even less, is your local library. You can even purchase books from your library used bookstore (if there is one). The Roof Beam Reader has a challenge where you read 12 books published in 2009 or earlier.

Outside of Young Adult Novels, I think high school students who are reluctant about reading classic novels should do their best to be open to the idea. Some of the greatest stories I have read where required readings for high school, such as 1984, one of my favorite books. Another one is To Kill a Mockingbird. To Kill a Mockingbird even helped inspire a completely new novel, The Mockingbirds.

More recently I have started reading classic short stories. Most of them are under 15 pages and take less than half an hour to read, but after reading them you are left with such a profound message you can't help but feel moved. The Yellow Wallpaper is one that discusses the seriousness of postpartum depression. The Tell Tale Heart is a thrilling tale that can leave you filled with suspense.

I hope no one takes this post as an assumption that readers only read new books; I guess I just wanted to kind of remind people that there are amazing novels and short stories out there! Don't ever limit yourself!

I would like to know, what are some classic novels you have enjoyed? If you haven't read, or haven't enjoyed any classics, what are some older novels you have read that you have enjoyed? Are you a fan of Flipped? A fan of Lois Duncan (I totally am!), or Lois Lowry (*waving hand frantically*)? What are some reads you recommend?

Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment