Thursday, February 10, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal: Review

Posted: 09 Feb 2011 05:11 PM PST

The False Princess
Written by: Eilis O'Neal
Published in: January 2011
Published by: Egmont USA
336 Pages
Format: ARC
Source: Received from publisher
Challenges: Debut Authors Challenge
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction (Historical)

Synopsis
Princess and heir to the throne of Thorvaldor, Nalia's led a privileged life at court. But everything changes when it's revealed, just after her sixteenth birthday, that she is a false princess, a stand-in for the real Nalia, who has been hidden away for her protection. Cast out with little more than the clothes on her back, the girl now called Sinda must leave behind the city of Vivaskari, her best friend, Keirnan, and the only life she's ever known.

Sinda is sent to live with her only surviving relative, an aunt who is a dyer in a distant village. She is a cold, scornful woman with little patience for her newfound niece, and Sinda proves inept at even the simplest tasks. But when Sinda discovers that magic runs through her veins - long-suppressed, dangerous magic that she must learn to control - she realizes that she can never learn to be a simple village girl.


Returning to Vivaskari for answers, Sinda finds her purpose as a wizard scribe, rediscovers the boy who saw her all along, and uncovers a secret that could change the course of Thorvaldor's history, forever.


A dazzling first novel, The False Princess is an engrossing fantasy full of mystery, action, and romance.

My Review
Let me start off this review by putting two BIG facts out there. First of all, as you may be able to tell, I generally stick to books geared for older young adults (is that an ironic statement?), usually 12+ or 14+, and I typically don't read much Middle Grade Fiction. With that being said, when I read the synopsis for The False Princess, I decided to give it a chance. The idea really called out to me, regardless of the age range it was geared towards.

I am so beyond happy that I gave this book a chance. Eilis O'Neal is really a brilliant writer, she weaved this world that I was able to imagine; I became so enthralled in this story. Each of the characters (there are actually quite a few) felt important; I had an idea of what each of them was like. Although there was the one obvious main character, each of the others was likeable as well.

The False Princess had so many different elements that made the plot that much more readable. Sinda went from being a princess to being a commoner (a great story on its own), but then you add in the fact that she has an overwhelming amount of magic, and you have an addicting story line. I really enjoyed the different view this book offered. There are so many movies and books that talk about girls finding out they are princesses, this one does the opposite. The other parts I enjoyed reading about had to do with the obvious budding romance between Kiernan and Sinda. The kind of love that starts before you even realize it's starting. I always love reading best friend romance, they are just too cute to resist.

Let's talk a little bit more about the characters in The False Princess. Sinda experiences so much growth in this story. From beginning to end you can see a complete turnaround in her personality, so much so that she almost seems to age a little bit. Kiernan, much like Sinda, grew into a character you couldn't help but like.

I'm happy that this was a stand-alone. It seems like there are so many series out there, a good, well written stand alone is a breath of fresh air. However, if Eilis created a sequel, it too would be on my list.



As far as ratings go, I have to say that The False Princess earned 5 Lanterns. I love this book. I'll definitely be open to more novels like this from now on. Oh and this book is a totally clean read!

Purchase Links:
or add it on
 
**Disclosure: I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for this review. These are my honest opinions.**

No comments:

Post a Comment