Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


What makes a story believable?

Posted: 01 Feb 2011 10:34 AM PST

Have you ever taken the time to think about what exactly makes a story believable?


Having read a variety of genres and books, I think I have finally narrowed down a few key points in what makes a reader fall into the story.


To start off, I would like to say that the genre of a story shouldn't be the part you rely on when judging believability. I have read many paranormal novels that literally draw me in all the way to the last page. All the while, I know werewolves, or vampires, or faeries don't exist, but that didn't make me change my mind in the least. On another note, I have also read contemporary novels that I just couldn't get into.


One of the biggest things I have found that contributes to the believability of story is the character descriptions and each of their voices. If a character is someone I can clearly imagine, or someone with traits I can relate to, I find myself able to more clearly imagine the story. One example I can think of is The Iron Fey Series. Megan, Puck and Ash are described to a tee, well actually, all of the characters are. You are able to clearly picture each character down to the shoes they would be wearing. Another thing about this series, each character has a trait that reaches out to readers. Megan has a deep love for her younger brother and family in general. Ash has been hurt, and is scared of moving forward with anyone after feeling such pain. Puck has been around Meghan so long he would be willing to do anything to protect her.


We have all read stories that we can't help but be sucked into, but what about those books that just didn't pull us in. What was it about those stories that just didn't reach us? Personally, I don't like when books lack character history, or back story. It's kind of difficult to explain, but if there is a complex world being built in a story, I want to know what led to the creation of this world. Also, if a character is a certain way, say she/he is really rude, or doesn't date anyone or fall in love ever, what led them to be like this? Why are they so stand-offish? I want to know why they are the way they are. The Hunger Games is a prime example of adding back story and character history. Suzanne Collins gave just enough details to help you understand the world these characters lived in. If you haven't read the series do it, NOW!


So readers, what stories have drawn you in to the last page? What stories have made you have series empathy for the characters? What do you think makes a story relatable?

No comments:

Post a Comment