Friday, March 25, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


Books for Kids

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 10:05 PM PDT

I have wanted to post about this for a while now, but I have been extremely busy. Either way, it is always better to do something later than never right? I Eat Words have put together an awesome fundraiser. They have posted this video on YouTube about wanting to donate books to a local hospital, Scottish Rite. For each "Like" that the video receives the bloggers, and sponsoring authors will donate a dollar. Right now, the goal is to reach 405 likes to donate 405 dollars towards the purchase of new books. The books HAVE to be new, and will only be purchased by them. It is much easier this way, because of hospital regulations and what not. A lot of these children have very weak immune systems and receiving even gently used items can cause them to come down with a severe illness.

Now, I'd like to share a shortened version of a person story I have. My little one, who just turned two, was born a bit early. She was born at 36 weeks right on the dot, not early enough to be preterm necessarily. Either way, when she was born she weighed 6lbs and was born with pretty sever jaundice. The doctors sent her home and the illness progressed on that first night home. The next day, she was unable to eat from exhaustion and ended up dropping down to 5lbs 10 oz. She was immediately taken to the NICU and she stayed for almost 1 weeks. That week was extremely tough on me and on my little one. The NICU had strict rules on not allowing parents to stay the night. So each night at Midnight I would go home then come back at five. In the middle of the night I would wake up crying, wishing I could hold my little one. It's heartbreaking as a mother to know there is nothing more you can do but be at their sides. Thankfully my little Kiwi is a relatively healthy child now, but there are many children out there who aren't.
A book can be a way to escape for these children and I know that anything they receive will light up their life even for a little while.


I know my readers are some of the most supportive people out there, so I would really appreciate it if you guys could go and Like this YouTube video. If you feel compelled, and are capable, feel free to also donate to the PayPal fund. The purchasing of the books will be videotaped and posted on YouTube as well.


Thank you for taking the time to read my little one's story and for supporting this cause.

If the gals from I Eat Words happen to read this, than I want to also taking the initiative and starting a cause that you feel strongly about.

No comments:

Post a Comment