Thursday, March 3, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eight Grade Bites - Review

Posted: 02 Mar 2011 01:13 PM PST

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eight Grade Bites
Written by: Heather Brewer
Published in: August 2007
Published by: Penguin USA
192 Pages
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Series: The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd (Book 1)

Synopsis
Vlad has to keep his vampire urges under control while dealing with the pressures of middle school.


Thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod really hates junior high. Bullies harass him, the principal is dogging him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has a secret: His mother was human, but his father was a vampire. With no idea of the extent of his powers, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs. When a substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown. But then he faces a much bigger problem: He's being hunted by a vampire killer.

My Review
Honestly, when I first purchased this book I hadn't heard of the Vladimir Todd Series. I thought the book was a great deal, and I was looking for some interesting paranormal reads that stood out. Plus, I also appreciated that it was written about a male character, not a female main character.

Well, I am really happy I picked up this series. The first book was fun, lite, and also had me on the edge of my seat in some sections. I liked that book one had a bit of mystery; I enjoy novels where you are trying to figure out who is the bad guy, and who is the good guy.

This book is written in third person. Usually I don't prefer third person narratives, but I think it made the book flow. Plus, you are still able to see the emotional issues that Vladimir is going though.

These books seem to be for middle grade readers, because the character is in middle grade, but it also has some issues with blood and violence (hello, he is a vampire!). I have a feeling that once the main character hits high school the book will seem more like a young adult novel.

Overall, I am really interested in this series; I will definitely be reading book two, The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd, Ninth Grade Slays. If you haven't started this series, add it to your TBR!


I give this book a four lantern rating. I really enjoyed it.

Purchase Links:
or add it on

No comments:

Post a Comment