Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Pet Peeves

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 10:25 PM PDT

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where they LOVE lists. Each week they post a topic where you(bloggers) list your top ten for that topic. Each week is a new one!




This week's Top Ten Tuesday is Bookish Pet Peeves

1.) Book folding. Folding corners… you know, dog ears. I don't understand why someone can't place a receipt in there or something. Frankly it disturbs me.

2.) Damaged Books. If I lend you a book, and you return it with stains and bent corners, I will be extremely hesitant on EVER lending you anything again. Also, don't take 6 months to return the book. Read it and give it back!

3.) Lost book jackets. Yes the real cover of a hardcover book is pretty, or in the case of books from Westside publishing, they are the exact same image, but still. I prefer books with the book jacket. Don't lose mine.

4.) Changing covers. This whole Nightshade/Wolfsbane thing is kind of sad in my opinion. I love having matching sets, and full series. Now that book two has a completely different feel I am a little upset. I really enjoyed the old Wolfsbane cover. The new one is pretty but it should be for the paperback cover.

5.) When it comes to the actual story, I really don't like serious cliffhangers. I think each book/chapter/series should have some form of closure. Yes you can leave us wanting more, but it doesn't have to be excruciating. I think The Dark Diving is a prime example of leaving a book with a good ending, but still giving a hint at something more. Raised by Wolves is another great example.

6.) Book reviewers who post minuscule reviews that consist of only a summary. I can read the back of the book to know what is going on, I read a review to hear what YOU have to say about the book. Also, a publisher is sending you a copy for a reason. Write the review, write it well, and actually give feedback. Yes I know there are some instances when mini reviews are okay, or perhaps if you are purchasing the book and don't want to write a HUGE review. I just wish more bloggers put effort into what they write.

7.) Bad grammar and punctuation. I know I am not the best at this, but if there is a book that is being professionally published, or self-published, it should go through insane rounds of editing. Missing commas can make a HUGE difference. One or two mistakes is not a big deal, but when it gets to the point where I have to reread a paragraph because there are spelling mistakes, and commas missing, then it gets to be a problem.

8.) Stickers on books. There is no need really, and they stick on like they are made with freaking super glue. I hate these things.

9.) Series. Yes, there are series I ADORE. I still think there should be more stand alone novels out there. Okay, like everyone knows New Moon was just a book that led to the next one, there was almost no need for that book. I don't like fillers, just cut the series or don't do a series at all.

10.) Damaged ARCS on ARC tours. Treat the book fairly, it is not yours and it is going to be used by a lot of people.


What are your pet peeves?

No comments:

Post a Comment