Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


Interviewing Brad and Quincie from Blessed by Cynthia Leitich Smith

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 10:17 AM PST

Howdy Quincie and Brad! I'm so excited to have the two of you visiting us on Truth Be Told. I've been dying to get some details on both of you, so why don't we get started. Quincie, how are you handling this new "Blessing" that Bradley gave you?


Quincie: Obviously, I don't see it as a blessing, but no whining. It's not like I'm without resources. I have my own family restaurant. I have my own new chef, and she's a better cook than Brad, too. So there. I'm going to adapt, build up a tolerance for solid food, and figure out a way to manage my new appetites. I'm not saying blood lust isn't a challenge, but with some loving support and my planner book, I can conquer anything.

That said, the toughest part is passing for human around my boyfriend Kieren's parents. They're smart, and they're parents. Shape-shifter or not, any halfway decent parent can sniff out trouble. Kieren has an amazing mom and dad. For better and worse, they're keeping an eye on me.



I can definitely see why you wouldn't consider it a "blessing", maybe Brad should just stop trying to bless people altogether (glares at Brad). As for you Brad, why Quincie? What did you see in her that reminded you of your human life?

Brad: Who, me? Come now, is that any way to treat a guest? Relax. Have a glass of Chianti.

As for Quincie, what first attracted me was her ability to savor life, even as she dived in. Where other girls might indulge in the frivolities of adolescence, she acted as if a woman born. And she's ambitious. We have that in common. Her family restaurant has become an almost literal extension of her persona. Not much of a domain to brag about perhaps, but how many seventeen-year-old girls have any domain to speak of, let alone a predisposition to command it?



Hm, I'll stick to my Chardonnay for now, thank you. Quincie, in Brad's defense you do seem quite mature for your age. So a question for the both of you, which of Sanguini's dishes do you think tastes the best? It can be either Brad's or Nora's.

Quincie: Because of my, er, condition, I was unable to sample Nora's dishes to the same extent as Brad's. However, my nose knows that she's the better chef. Both her wilted wild mushroom soup and kumquat sherbet with frozen eyes of newt are to die for.

Bradley: I'm wounded. Please don't listen to anything she says. Alas, we're in the midst of a bit of a lover's spat. My culinary superiority over that old bag Nora is a given. I'm tempted to brag about my chilled baby squirrels, simmered in orange brandy, bathed in honey cream sauce, and yet.... Looking back, I must say it's the boar's head pie with boiled eggs in a graham cracker crust that stands out most in my memory. It's the crust that makes it sing.




I'm actually tempted to try all of those, even the chilled baby squirrels. Although after reading the books, I think I'll pass. Another question for both of you. Knowing that you'll (more than likely) be living for a while, what are you most excited about seeing, in the future?

Quincie: I wonder about the people I love. How will Kieren's little sister Meghan turn out, for example? She's a hybrid human-werewolf. She's already seen vampires and angels with her own eyes. And for all of her cuteness, she's a fierce little thing.

Brad: Yawn. Flying cars! I've been promised flying cars for decades, and where are they? Beyond that, I look forward to the day when Quincie accepts the inevitable and agrees to join me in our eternal life together.




You know, Brad, I do feel like they have been talking about Flying Cars for a while. Quincie, speaking of Kieren, I think all of our readers would like to know, what are the ups and downs of dating a hybrid werewolf?

Quincie: I know he's a human-Wolf hybrid, and that's a big part of his identity. But it's really hard for me to separate that DNA aspect from Kieren overall. He's loyal, sure, and people often equate that with Wolf behavior, and sometimes I can see that animal passion in his eyes. But mostly, I think of him as smart, book-ish, brawny, and the one person who'll always be there for me. What's more, he doesn't mind when I drone on about restaurant business like amping up our PR efforts or ordering new napkins.





Well it sounds like there are some definite pro's, but it could just be that he's a good guy! So Brad and Quincie, if we were to look through your IPod, or CD's, what are some of the things we would find?

Quincie: "When It Rains" - Paramore; "Set the Fire to the Third Bar" - Snow Patrol; "Beauty of the Dark" - Mads Langer; "Crystal Ball" - Styx; "Together" - The Kin; "Take Me to the Ballroom" - Moonbabies; "Winter Song" - Sara Bareilles; "Teeth" - Lady Gaga; "Need" - Hana Pestle; "All Around Me" - Flyleaf; "Look After You" - The Frey; "Graveyard Girl" - M83; "Creep" - Scala Choir; "Corrupt" - Depeche Mode; "Save You" - Kelly Clarkson; "Into Dust" - Mazzy Star; "The Sharpest Lives" - My Chemical Romance; "Use Somebody" - Paramore; "Stolen" - Dashboard Confessional; "Brighter" - Paramore; plus, a mix of Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift, Evanescence, Willie Nelson, Pavoratti & Frank Sinatra.


Brad: Anything by Eartha Kitt; Louis Armstrong; Ella Fitzgerald, Sting... I have a particular affection for jazz and ragtime tunes.




Great choices Quincie, I actually saw Paramore live, they rock. Brad, the jazz period was really just amazing. Both of you, what is one last thing you would like to tell my readers? It can be anything really...

Brad: When you have very little life experience, it's hard to see the big picture. You tend to grab onto the people who're most familiar to you--those you wouldn't have considered choosing if you'd met them later in life. You tend to cling to your existence as you've always known it. And yet change is the only constant. In time, you'll be someone entirely different, a new and better you, and so why not embrace possibilities? Why don't you let someone wiser, more experienced guide you through the transitions that lay ahead?


Quincie: If some smooth-talking, older guy starts plying you with liquor, flattering you, and trying to impress you when you're most vulnerable because of, say, your parents divorce or a death in the family or a falling out with your best friend, run the hell away from the jerk. Now, fast, go! Trust me on this. The solution to your problems is in you.


Thank you so much for joining us Quincie, and Brad!


Be sure to purchase or order Blessed by Cynthia Leitich Smith, the book is officially out in stores today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment