Saturday, January 29, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins: Review

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 04:30 PM PST

Catching Fire
Written by: Suzanne Collins
Published in: September 2009
Published by: Scholastic Inc
400 Pages
Format: Hardcover
Source: Gift
Series: The Hunger Games #2
Challenges: TBR Pile Challenge 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian

Synopsis:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.



My Review:
Catching Fire completely met and exceeded my expectations from The Hunger Games. This book takes place a few months after Peeta and Katniss return from The Hunger Games. This story seems to start off a little slower than the first book; it's almost catching you up or reminding you of what happened. While the first few chapters were slow, once the drama started happening it really got rolling. I had no idea what was going to happen but I could anticipate huge things going on.

In this one, we also get to see a lot more of Peeta. The first novel was all about Katniss and her struggles and the people surrounding her. Catching Fire gave us a bigger feeling of who Peeta was. Katniss also shows a lot of growth, you can also see The Hunger Games taking its toll on Katniss. Katniss seemed more courageous in this book, like she was finally realizing its okay to count on some people, but not everyone.

In Catching Fire you also get an in depth view at the Capitol, much more than in The Hunger Games. You are able to see just how far they are willing to go to keep control. It's scary in a way, but it really adds to the whole Panem World.

I wish I could have seen a little bit more of Gale, at the end of The Hunger Games I was almost Team Gale but undecided. At the end of Catching Fire I was leaning more towards Team Peeta.

I cannot believe the way Catching Fire ended; it truly wasn't what I expected. Everything in the last few chapters had my mind rolling; I was questioning everything and everyone. I can't wait to read Mockingjay.

I can't decide if I liked this book more than The Hunger Games. All I know is that it really set the bar even higher for Mockingjay.



Overall Catching Fire earns five lanterns. A great sequel to the first novel. I hope you are all reading this series.

Read my review of The Hunger Games as well.

Purchase Links:
or add it on

No comments:

Post a Comment