Sunday, September 4, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


Shut Out by Kody Keplinger Tour Review

Posted: 03 Sep 2011 01:09 PM PDT

Shut Out
Written by: Kody Keplinger
Published on: September 3, 2011
Published by: Little Brown Book For Young Readers
288 Pages
Format: ARC
Source: Teen Book Scene Tours

Synopsis Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part,Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention.



Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. And Lissa never sees her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling, coming.

My Review
Shut Out is the first book I read from Kody Keplinger, and I have to say, she is an amazing author. This book absolutely excels in all the necessary areas.


Right away it was so easy for me to involve myself in the story. The dialogue was so natural; it was funny when necessary and sad when it made sense. Lissa was likeable but also irritating. Reading this book reminded me of watching a scary movie, covering you face, and then peeking through the fingers. You knew a train wreck was coming but you couldn't help but dive right in alongside of the characters.

Let's chat about Cash Sterling for a minute. Man oh man, he was perfect in certain ways but also not "so perfect" it wasn't believable. I wanted to like Cash and then I wanted to smack him. Then there was Randy. After everything he did you wanted to hate him but there was also this balance to his personality where you wanted to believe him when he tried to change. In the end I really didn't like him, but the writing and characterization had me wondering if he could change.

This book was so much fun to read. I will definitely be buying my own copy to reread over and over. Kody Keplinger has a certain style, she makes her characters come to life in ways that some very established authors can't.


I give Shut Out a five lantern rating, after finishing the book I had to take a couple days off from reading because I liked it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment