Friday, June 3, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


Guest Post: Micol Ostow author of Family

Posted: 02 Jun 2011 11:45 PM PDT

Today we will be featuring a Guest Post from Author Micol Ostow as part of the Family tour. Micol will be doing an into the past post, featuring some books her past self would recommend at the ages of 5, 11, 16, and 20. This tour was put together by Teen Book Scene.

Age 5: Probably the Madeline books by Ludwig Bemelmans. "And that's all there is -- there isn't any more." Oh, and Kay Thompson's Eloise! I remember visiting the Plaza as child and being so disappointed that it didn't live up to Eloise's flights of fancy.



Age 11: I was on the cusp of my early Stephen King phase, just coming out of my Judy Blume phase. From Deenie to Cujo -- overnight!



Age 16: Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale. She came to read at Seton Hall University, which is a mile from where I grew up, and I dragged my mother (not that it took so much persuasion, mind you). She is a brilliant, brilliant mind.

Age 20: Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones's Diary. Fielding is one of the sharpest satirists around. For what it's worth, I named my dog Bridget Jones. It *kills* me when people say, "oh, like the movie?"


NO, NOT LIKE THE MOVIE, PEOPLE. NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL. I mean, no disrespect to Renee Zellweger, but really. Jeez.


Come to think of it, all of the books on this list are a fair representation of my reading tastes to this day! So, there you have it. I'm a living paradox.

Thanks Micol for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment