Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 11:39 PM PDT

The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Written by: Carrie Ryan
Published in: March 2009
Published by: Delacorte Books by Random House Press
Format: Paperback
320 Pages
Source: Purchased

Synopsis
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?


My Review
Okay, I don't know exactly how to start this. I feel like this will be one of those reviews that will be controversial and receive a lot of "Are you serious?" comments. I wanted to like this book a lot more than I really did.

To start off with, the world building in this book was phenomenal, down to the very last detail. I could truly imagine every part of the characters surroundings and each area that she walked through when venturing into the forest. I also understood why the main character's world seemed so strict. They believed in a god, and wanted to do anything possible to preserve life.

After some chapters, probably about a quarter of the way through the book, I felt that the story was starting to die down. I feel like it started to have too much back info. I can kind of understand why the author started to do this. I think all of this backstory took place because Mary was bonding with Travis, but the scenes just seemed to drag on longer than necessary. Those few chapters where a little bland when you compare it to the beginning and ending of the book. It was not bad enough to make me want to put it down, but it was just not as exciting.

Now, the other main problem was a bit of a personal preference. A ton of important people die. I won't tell you which ones because it will give away the plot. So, Yes, I know this is a dystopian, zombie type of novel, but when I say a lot of people die I felt like it was more of a plot twist. I felt too attached to some of the characters to let them go. It really frustrated me and I thought it took away from the story.

One thing I did enjoy was the way the characters responded to everything that was going on. There were many points when the characters were having very emotional responses, but they seemed logical, and completely understandable. It made the story easier to fall into.

I don't want to say that this was a waste of my time, nor do I want to say that I hated this novel. I really didn't, and I do plan on reading the other two books. I just thought it would be different, the way it started off set a high standard and then didn't deliver what I was hoping it would. I recommend this if you are really into dystopian novels and love books that keep you guessing.



Overall, The Forest of Hands and Teeth earns three lanterns from Truth Be Told. On a positive note, my teen sister thinks I am absolutely, hands down psychotic. Naomi thinks this is a five.

Purchase Links:
or add it on

No comments:

Post a Comment