Friday, December 17, 2010

Truth Be Told

Truth Be Told


LA Candy by Lauren Conrad: Review

Posted: 16 Dec 2010 03:28 PM PST

LA Candy
Written By: Lauren Conrad
Published By: Harper Teen
Published In: June 2009
Format: Hardcover
336 Pgs
Series: LA Candy Series Bk 1

Synopsis:
Los Angeles is all about the sweet life: hot clubs, cute guys, designer . . . everything. Nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts can't wait to start living it up. She may be in L.A. for an internship, but Jane plans to play as hard as she works, and has enlisted her BFF Scarlett to join in the fun. When Jane and Scarlett are approached by a producer who wants them to be on his new series, a "reality version of Sex and the City," they can hardly believe their luck. Their own show? Yes, please! Soon Jane is TV's hottest star. Fame brings more than she ever imagined possible for a girl from Santa Barbara free designer clothes, the choicest tables at the most exclusive clubs, invites to Hollywood premieres and she's lapping up the VIP treatment with her eclectic entourage of new pals. But those same friends who are always up for a wild night are also out for a piece of Jane's spotlight. (Taken from BarnesandNoble.com)

My Review:
I have had this book on my To Be Read/Wish List for quite some time. I used to be a fan of the show, even though I knew a lot of it was staged or scripted. When this novel came out I didn't really know what to expect. Sometimes books written by someone who isn't normally a writer can either be good or bad. I was, however, pleasantly surprised.


This story takes place in Los Angeles, California. Lauren Conrad, the author, was able to really capture the essence of the city, not only the high fashion, socialite aspect, but also the artsy, quaint villages.

Jane, the main character is your typical girl next door. She is one of those girls who goes around trying to please everyone. While reading his I was really glad to see that even though Jane grew up in Southern California, she didn't come off stuck up or rude much like her costars. Jane is one of those characters you could imagine being best friends with.

It was really interesting watching the way all the LA Candy Stars where changing because of the fame. Every little change was noticeable in the book, it kind of gives you a peek into what reality shows are really like (even if it is fiction).

The first few chapters of the book felt a little slow, they didn't grab me as much as I had hoped. I don't usually stop reading a book, so I continued reading it. I am very glad that I did, once I passed those first few chapters everything was pretty intriguing.

I enjoy that Lauren wrote from a few different perspectives. I love when stories have well rounded characters, and adding different perspectives make it much more interesting. I'm interested in seeing how the second book will turn out.



Overall, I give LA Candy 4 Lanterns. I plan on continuing this series, and I enjoyed the first of the series.
I recommend this if you like The Gossip Girl Series, but want something shorter.

Find this on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or Mystery Galaxy (one of my favorite indie's)


**Disclosure: I received a copy of this book in exchange for this review. No other compensation was made. These are my honest opinions**

No comments:

Post a Comment